Covid 19 regulations for Chile
- Negative PCR test result no more than 72 hours prior to boarding the plane that will fly you to Chile. The 72 hours starts at the time the test is administered, not when the result is given.
- Complete vaccination, which must be verified before entering Chile through the Chilean Government to obtain a mobility pass. The mobility pass may be obtained here. We strongly suggest starting the verification process 3 weeks – 1 month prior to travel as it may take up to that amount of time to receive verification.
- Fill out the Travelers Affidavit form online, within 48 hours of your arrival in Chile. Click Here. You will need to have your vaccine validation back from the Chilean government before filling out this form.
- Medical insurance with a minimum coverage of USD $30,000, which covers any expenses caused by Covid-19. Check with your insurance provider to see if you are covered.
- Upon arrival, tourists must get a second PCR test in the Santiago airport, and then travel directly to a specified place of stay (a hotel that you have booked in advance in Santiago) and wait there for their test result. Once a negative result is obtained, they may end the quarantine period and continue on their travels.**
- A daily follow-up form will be sent via email by the government over 14 days following entry to the country.
** The PCR test will be administered directly at the airport immediately after landing, and all travelers are meant to go from there straight to their “quarantine” place (hotel) until they receive the results – they cannot wait at the airport. We’re hearing results may take anywhere from 4-12 hours.
- Book a hotel in Santiago on the day of arrival (the day before your lodge program starts – or earlier as you wish) where you will have to wait for the result of your PCR test taken a the airport.
- Book a flight to Puerto Montt for the next morning (the day your lodge program starts) with arrival in Puerto Montt before 10:00AM. For your return everything stays unchanged: on the day of departure your flight from Puerto Montt back to Santiago should be booked after 03:30PM.
We had to change the normal arrival itinerary due to this Santiago testing mandate. You will now have to arrive Santiago early on the morning prior to going into the lodge – this is the same as always – but instead of flying to Puerto Montt the same day and overnighting there (now not possible due to the Santiago testing and the time needed to wait for the test results) you will need to have reserved a hotel in Santiago for this night. Then, with your negative test result in hand, you will get on a flight early the next morning to Puerto Montt (you will need to have booked this flight in advance – it takes the place of the afternoon flight from the day before that you would normally have booked). Arriving at the Puerto Montt airport, you will gather your luggage, then be met by our driver who will drive you to the charter flight waiting for your group, flying you into Patagonia. Either to Chaiten or La Junta for your final road transfer to the lodge.
After your stay with us, on your day of departure from the lodge, we will drive you to the airstrip for your charter flight back to Puerto Montt. You will fly straight into the main airport of Tepual (PMC) or back to the local airport of La Paloma. Please make sure that your flight to Santiago does not leave before 3:30PM, to allow some time for weather delays.
Driver Puerto Montt – Gonzalo Pincheira: +56-9-73364469
What to bring to Chile
At the airports of Santiago and Puerto Montt, Chilean Pesos can be withdrawn from ATMs (Red banc). Most accepted cards are Cirrus, Visa and MasterCard. US Dollars and Euros are accepted at certain places only and generally at poor rates. In the lodge, however, US Dollars, Pound Sterling and Euros, as well as US bankers cheques are readily accepted, though credit cards are not.
As your final transfer to the lodge will by small charter plane with limited capacity, we strongly request you to limit your baggage weight to a maximum of 60 lbs (27 kilo) and not to use hard shell suitcases, but soft travel bags only.
We offer free laundry service, allowing you to limit the number of clothes you bring. Back-up fishing gear in case of breakage or loss of equipment (rods, waders, shoes, etc.) is available, so no need to bring spares. In the lodge we have a small shop with items like flies, lines, reels, rods, leaders, etc., for sale. All the rooms are equipped with hairdryers, towels, bathrobes, flip flops, shampoo, body gel, cotton pats, tissues, electric plug converters, etc.
- 4 sets of clothes change (3 sets packed) – don’t forget lodges free laundry service
- 1 pair of daily shoes. Sturdy boots for light hiking/horse riding are supplied by the
- Breathable rain coat and rain pants (for use on white water where we don’t allow
waders, or during hiking/horse riding)
- Fleece sweater
- Bathing suit (for use in sauna and hot tub)
- Polarized sunglasses, hat or cap/jockey, high factor sunscreen SPF40+ and lip balm
- Head light / flashlight (for stay in overnight camp)
- Digital camera with battery charger, spare battery and memory card
- Personal hygienic items (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, lotions, etc.) and
- Travel alarm clock or watch with alarm
- Cash US$ or bankers cheques, Pound Sterling or Euros for purchases at the lodge and tips (suggested is 10-15% of your
total travel sum)
- If you want to bring a mobile phone, make sure that your provider recognizes the
Entel mobile network
- 4-piece fly rods in solid tubes. One #6 weight with reel and floating line and one fast
#6 weight, #7 or #8 weight with reel and sink-tip (200/250 grain) and floating line
- 9 ft. leaders (3 of each – 0X, 2X and 3X) and fluorocarbon tippet material (1X, 2X, 3X,
- Lightweight stocking foot waders with wading belt and boots, thermal underwear for
use in waders, fast-drying wading pants, neoprene socks (to use in wading boots when
wet-wading), rain pants (for use in white water and the camps)
- Dry bag (for use on float trips) and waterproof camera case/bag
- Fly floatant, clippers, haemostats, strike indicators and weight for nipping
- Wading staff, sun gloves
- Dry flies: Gypsy King (size 4); Fat Albert, tan and black (size 6, 8, 10); Ninja Cicada
(size 8, 10); Chubby Chernobyl (size 6); Parachute Chernobyl Ant, red and black (size 6, 8); Parachute Madame X (PMX), yellow, orange, olive (size 6, 8, 10); Turk´s Tarantula (size 8, 10); Humpy, red, yellow (size 12, 14, 16); Parachute Ant (size 16, 18); Black foam beetle (size 16, 18); Parachute Adams (size 14, 16)
- Streamers: Home Invader, tan white; Sparkle Minnow (size 2); King Smolt (size 2), Sculpzilla, tan, white (size 4); Silvey´s Sculpin, olive, tan, black (size 4); Chilean Rubber Bugger (size 4); Autumn Splendour (size 4); Beldar´s Rubberleg, black/red, olive/brown (size 4), Black Cone head Zuddler, (size 8,10);
- Nymphs: Pheasant Tail bead head (size 14, 16); Pat´s rubberlegs (size 8, 10, 12) Prince Nymph (size 12, 14, 16); Copper John, green, black, red (size 14, 16, 18); Mercer´s Poxyback Golden Stone (size 10, 12); Bitch Creek, orange (size 8, 10)
General travel- and background information:
- For holders of an E.U., U.K. or U.S.A. passport, at this moment, no visa is needed for a stay of up to 3 months in Chile. A passport with a validity of at least 6 months from the final date of departure from Chile together with a return ticket is sufficient. First time U.S.A. visitors to Chile pay a reciprocity tax when entering the country.
- Chile´s language is Spanish. Outside the capital of Santiago English is hardly spoken. The lodge management, however, speaks Dutch, German, Spanish and English.
- In season, time differences are: Central Europe -4, UK -3, USA EC +2, USA WC +5 hours.
- Chileans are extremely friendly and helpful people. Outside the big cities crime is almost non-existent. However, like anywhere, using common sense will avoid a lot of problems.
- A stay in Chile means different people with different customs, a different culture and food. This is one of the attractions of Chile, but at the same time an aspect to be considered in your expectations
- During your stay in The Patagonian BaseCamp Lodge all meals will be provided at high standards. Should you have special wishes or preferences (e.g. allergies or vegetarian diet) and report these before arrival, we will do our utmost to accommodate them.